Car advertising is heavily slanted towards price. The buying demographic has shifted to women who now make up more than half of the sales, and influence over 80% of the deals. Today, it makes sense to move advertising to accommodate this powerful market sector.
Did You Know?
When women are asked why they bought a car at a particular dealership, the “Sales Advisor” was the #1 reason. “Price” and “Dealership Reputation” tie for second place.
All customers want the “best” deal possible and women are no exception. In fact, 7 of 10 women report that price is a top factor in purchasing a particular vehicle.1
What Does this Mean for Your Dealership?
It means that applying “softer and smarter” factors can improve the overall messaging effectiveness in traditional TV, radio and print advertising. Improved effectiveness increases reach, and provides more advertising dollar value. Let’s take a closer look:
Idea #1: Ensure your advertising conveys reputation, trust and respect. Reviews and scores are subtle forms of advertising that are ongoing, persistent and pervasive. Frankly, they create an evidence-driven reputation. Numbers speak louder than words. Emphasize your dealership’s rankings and how you compare with others in your brand category and geographic area. Consider using:
- Customer Testimonials: Authentic and local testimonials will personalize your advertising and convey a customer-centric approach.
- Reviews, especially reviews from women. Women are 50% more likely than men to read reviews, and prefer reviews written by women.
- Statistics to convey reputation, e.g., “#1 in customer satisfaction” from reputable sources.
- Positive words that convey a high level of service: happy, comfortable, delighted, pleasant.
- Supportive Digital content. Make sure your web site conveys inclusion, with women as an identifiable demographic. Showcase reviews on your home page.
Idea #2: Supplement competitive pricing with specifics that speak to women. Show women (happy women) in your ads. Include a broad demographic. Photos speak volumes and convey emotions. Remember, 50% of car buyers are women; and 53% of millennial buyers are women.
Idea #3: Show that your dealership is more than a showroom full of cars. Be sure your advertising includes:
- Showcasing your service center. Mention courtesy vehicles, and any other amenities that show the value you place on customer loyalty and an ongoing business relationship. Ensure your advertising promotes the message “when you buy from us, you receive a good price, PLUS you receive great service.” Describe what “that great service is.”
Putting these ideas into practice
Using these ideas can mean a fresh conversation with your creative agency. Let them know what you want to convey as you reach out to women buyers. A comprehensive advertising program is the best way to start the process of customer engagement. Including and targeting your most powerful buying segment will increase your overall advertising success, provide more value from your budget, and drive more dollars to your dealership’s bottom line.