Think you know all there is to know about Pinterest? Think again. Here are Five things that perhaps you may not know about the Pin-loving social network:
1) Pinterest is the Third Most Popular Social Network
- Of course, we can classify a website's popularity in many different ways. However, since launching in 2010 and gaining a head full of steam this year, Pinterest has cemented itself as the 3rd most popular social networking site, just behind Facebook & Twitter
- In March, they received 104 MILLION visitors. (I'll let that sink in.....)
- That is immense growth for a site that is barely two years old.
2) It's not Just Women....
- Once Pinterest gained traction earlier this year, a narrative grew around the social networking site claiming it was just for women. But, a closer look indicates otherwise.
- The percentage breakdown is this 65% women/35% men. While this isn't necessarily a balanced scale, it does indicate that the website isn't just used by one specific gender/group of people.
3) You're spending more time on Pinterest than...
- Believe it or not, users are spending more time on Pinterest than they are on Facebook. A recent study found that the average Facebook user spends approximately 12 minutes on Facebook, keeping an eye on what their "Friends" are doing, while Pinterest users are spending 16 minutes on the site.
- For some perspective, the average YouTube user spends 16.5 minutes.
4) Silicon Valley?
- While most tech startups seem to originate in the depths of Silicon Valley and some in New York City, Pinterest started in the Midwest. It goes to show you: a great idea can take you anywhere, regardless of its latitude!
5) Self Promotion is indeed allowed
- When Pinterest was first unleashed into the virtual world, it was simple: pin a few recipes, a few photos to a board, and interact with others.
- However, now the folks over at Pinterest (as of March), have allowed self-promotion for businesses.
Are you a Pinterest addict?